Participate in our special sustainability event supporting Dress for Success and/or Dress Your Best to recycle or repurpose those articles of clothing and accessories you no longer use and assist our communities while promoting sustainability at the same time. These organizations promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women and men who are trying to get back into the working world and need a leg up - your support would be greatly appreciated! Please click here for more details.
Help us make the ERAPPA 2016 Conference the “greenest” ERAPPA Conference yet – please see tips below:
- Our conference venue and host hotel are environmentally conscious and provide sustainable initiatives – help them by reducing your energy and waste – turn off lights and TV’s when you leave a room, recycle using the appropriate bins, encourage and ask for double sided printing, try to extend the use of towels, don’t leave taps running when not needed and reduce food waste.
- Niagara Falls is an easy place to walk around, or use shared cars or buses to get to the venues and sites of interest. Check out the “calorie burner” site below to track what you burn when walking.
- This convention will be partially powered by Bullfrog Power. This directs funds to renewable energy systems to cover the electricity required to power the event for three days.
- The agenda and conference notes will be available electronically via Guidebook – use the app and save paper.
- The lanyards and name tags will be returned for recycling at the end of the conference.
- When you are outside the conference venues, consider eating locally grown foods.
- Niagara Falls is the home of major hydroelectric generation for the USA and Ontario. Between the two stations, they are the largest hydro generators in North America – over 5 million kilowatts. See the link below for more information about the areas + 250 years of sustainable energy history.
Take advantage of locally sourced and fresh seasonal food offerings during your stay! The Niagara Falls Canada experience won't be complete without delighting and savouring the farm to table culinary scene the region has to offer. More...
Links to sites of interest that promote sustainability at our event:
CONFERENCE VENUE: THE SCOTIABANK CONVENTION CENTRE
The Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls (SCCN)is keeping it “green” by offering its clients, guests and visitors a healthy, eco-friendly convention and meetings experience. To learn more about the Scotiabank Convention Centre’s Green Initiatives, please visit: www.fallsconventions.com/green-facility.html
HOST HOTEL: THE MARRIOTT ON THE FALLS
The Marriott on the Falls is the proud recipient of the 3 Green Key Rating awarded by the Green Key Eco-Rating Program to hotels, motels and resorts that are committed to improving their environmental and fiscal performance and has taken significant steps to protect the environment, shows strong environmental programs, best management practices, training programs, and engineering solutions which have benefited the environment and the local community. For more information, please visit: www.marriottonthefalls.com/green-initiatives
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS:
- Walking calorie burner web site – tells you how many calories you burn off walking around during the event: www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
- Agritourism Sites – ideas such as farmers markets, florists, honey, fruit and vegetable stands close to or in Niagara Falls: www.niagaragreenbelt.com/listings/5-agritourism-.html?limit=5
- History of Niagara Falls – read about the history of this powerful river and area since it started being used in 1759: www.niagarafrontier.com/power.html